If you are looking for a special treat to impress a special date or someone you care about, how could you go wrong with a mix like this: flowers, fresh fruit and chocolate?
As a dating coach in Vancouver, I am always on the lookout for the unusual ways one can say “WOW, I am into you!” When I saw the advertisement to make fresh flowers from fruit, I was intrigued enough to get me in the car, and be on my way to the West Vancouver store. Not sure what I would see when I walked in the door, I certainly left, impressed!
With almost a thousand stores worldwide, this franchise, EDIBLE ARRANGEMENTS has only two BC locations. People order fruit arrangements for anniversaries, birthdays, client’s appreciation gifts, and of course, for romance. (This is a perfect idea Valentine’s Day.)
Fortunately right after I’ve got to the store, someone called to make an order and I could observe how it is done. (Orders can be placed by phone or online.) After looking at the website, the caller decided on their arrangement and then to insure perfection, ENGIN M. FEDAIOGLU, owner of the local franchise had a few questions: what kind of container did they want, should it include a greeting card, any extras (like plush bears or balloons) they would like added to the arrangement, should the fruit be dipped in chocolate?
Once every single detail was clear, ENGIN confirmed delivery within 2 hours, and the designer started to work on the bouquet right away.
The fruits I saw used in the bouquets are strawberry, watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, grapes, apples, and bananas. You can see all possible over 50 different arrangements with a wide range of sizes and varieties of fruit at their very professional website.
Delivery is a $12 flat fee or you can pick it up from the store and Gift Certificates are available as well.
Once completed, the bouquet is wrapped in cellophane, a greeting card is enclosed, and helium balloons are attached, it’s ready to go to surprise someone’s special date or loved one.
Considering that a big box of chocolate is about 3,000 calories, pineapple daisies might be a healthy alternative and will add a wow factor to your present.
If a Valentine Day always takes you by surprise, and tomorrow is Feb 14th, don’t panic, you can still pick up a perfect Valentine’s gift.
Don’t spend hours searching! I have 15 great picks sure to bring a valentines smile to anyone’s face.
Wherever you are –there is a store near you with a solution. I have listed them in Alphabetical order.
1. BLOCKBUSTER/ROGERS VIDEO has a selection of his or her favourite TV series.
2. CHAPTERS or AMAZON.COM: Look in the books on love and relationships, or love poems.
They also have big selection of interesting gifts.
3. HEALTH STORE or ESSENTS or SAGE: Pick up some Essential Oils and an oil burner. Rose or Jasmine is lovely, and they have some blends to stir up sensuous arousal.
4. HOME DEPOT has a section, far from the cashier, where you can buy an orchid or another living flower in a pot, wrapped and ready to present for Valentine’s Day.
5. GROCERY STORES usually sell flowers as well. Or buy the groceries, cook a dinner, light some candles, open the champagne – very romantic!
6. LIQUOR STORE. Good wine or champagne to celebrate this special day. (Better to bring a nice bottle of wine than a cheap champagne).
7. LONDON DRUGS/SHOPPERS DRUG MART has selection of chocolates and candies.
– Or go to the cosmetic counter and buy a gift card for brand cosmetics. If you have a good picture of you both, you can order them online and they will print photos for you. Regular photos take only a couple of hours to complete. They send you e-mail saying that your order is ready to pick up. Order them here. You can get a romantic card there too.
8. MICHAELS CRAFT STORE. She might appreciate artificial silk flowers. They are brighter, bigger and will last forever. Try they have huge selection of them. But take note, women who love fresh flowers tend to shy away from the artificial. If she loves to paint or craft some supplies in a lovely gift bag, (which you can buy there too!) will delight her senses. Check Michaels store website for locations.
9. PURDY’S CHOCOLATE SHOP /DEATH BY CHOCOLATE – of course chocolate or her favourite candy.
10. SAFEWAY has huge selection of different gift cards for various stores or gift certificates. Or buy bouquet of flowers or a bouquet of helium balloons. The flowers don’t have to be expensive. According to SmartMoney article “Valentine’s Day War of the Roses,” by Kelli B. Grant, you can also buy shorter-stemmed roses, roses of different colors or other flowers. If she really likes long stem roses, buy a single, long-stemmed rose, it’s a still romantic.
11. If you want to really surprise her with comfort, send her to SPA UTOPIA for a massage or pedicure or pedicure and manicure combination. She will enjoy a steam bath and free food to nibble on and wine to sip while she is pampered and made to feel like a queen. They have cards or you can call ahead if you are short on time and they will keep record until she comes in with the order as PAID.
12. TOYS’Я’ US.
A board game, if he likes them.
13. WINNERS, HOME SENSE, THE BAY, SEARS, ZELLERS, HAIR SALON, PURE NAIL BAR Gift certificates.
14. If you at home and you have COMPUTER with internet connection, you can buy gifts right away if they are in a digital format. You can download Apple iTunes music immediately to your e-mail.
15. You can make your own GIFT CERTIFICATE – for massage, grocery shopping, homemade dinner, etc. Anything what he or she was bugging you about for a long time but you never had it done. Make them happy!
You are a lucky one – you have someone you care about. Don’t let the day get away without showing it!
Why do you do this every year? With Valentines around the corner, here you are waiting until the last minute, then rushing to the store to get her a usual set of chocolates in a heart shaped box and/or flowers for your last minute valentine gift. Of course, she will gracefully accept your standard gift but ~
Why don’t you try to do something different this time?
Something that she will remember for years, may be forever? Gifts don’t need to be expensive. Women give really high marks for the actual thought and effort a man put into the V-day (or any day) present.
Do your homework first
Snoop around and notice her tastes. Make mental notes of her priorities. What color does she favour? Does she enjoy a lot of photographs around her home, on her desk or wall? Where does she like to shop? What music does she listen to in her car or on her Nano? Does she like teckie gadgets? Are fresh flowers gracing her table? Use what you find to help you choose a romantic gift idea.
1. IF SHE LIKES TO HAVE PHOTOS. If you have a good picture of you both, London Drugs for instance can print photos for you. But you don’t need to print on paper – you can print a calendar, put your pictures on a mug, on a t-shirt, on a mouse pad, make a puzzle or buy her a Jewel Box with your picture on it. You can even order them online and pick it up later. Processing time depends on the product, and in my experience, regular photos take only a couple of hours to complete. They send you e-mail saying that your order is ready to pick up (a great idea if you have the time – not so good for the last minute gift idea)
2. IF SHE LIKES FLOWERS. Maybe she will appreciate artificial silk flowers? They are brighter, bigger and will last forever. Try Michaels craft store, they have huge selection of them. But take note, women who love fresh flowers tend to shy away from the artificial.
3. IF SHE IS INTO MOVIES. I was so happy to get a full set of ‘Friends’ TV series from my friend. He knew I watched it whenever it was on TV. What made it special is that he noticed and took initiative.If you like to plan ahead, get her a pass to Vancouver Film Festival, which takes place in Fall. Or can take her for an outdoor movie.
4. IF SHE LIKES TRYING NEW FOOD. Take her to a restaurant of international cuisine – Afghan, Russian, Balkan, etc. I would suggest a Google research on the menus.
5. IF SHE IS INTO MUSIC. Buy her a gift card for iTunes. Or get her season tickets for Vancouver Symphony Orchestra.
6. IF SHE LIKES HOME MADE GIFTS And you are a handy man, make a cutting board from a piece of wood (they have great selection in Home Depot); if you are an artist – write a poem or a song. You can find a selection online of Valentine day poems as a source for creative you.
7. IF SHE IS INTO SELF-HELP, find her favourite authors or buy tickets to a local event.
8. IF SHE IS INTO BOOKS. Besides Chapters Gift Card, you can take her to Banyen books, let her spend some time looking and buying and then go for coffee across the street.
9. IF YOU RAN OUT OF IDEAS Gift Cards or Gift Certificate are your best bet. My standard cards on my wish list on any Holiday are Winners, Home Sense, and The Bay. These stores have a great selection and wont’ restrict her in her choice. A Gift Certificate for any SPA a nail salon or a hair salon are great ideas too.
10. IF YOU STILL HAVE NO IDEA what she likes, buy anything for her house – a nice candle or coasters, bubble bath or nice soap (Lush has a great selection); anything for her works/studying ; anything for her living room. OF course, it’s a rare woman who will turn down chocolate.
Women like surprises! Let her discover flowers and a present at her bed in the morning, like Santa does on Christmas.
Make this a day you let down your guard and romance her like a princess. Who knows, you may love the feelings you feel and the light in her eyes.