Why do you do this every year? With Valentines around the corner, here you are waiting until the last minute, then rushing to the store to get her a usual set of chocolates in a heart shaped box and/or flowers for your last minute valentine gift. Of course, she will gracefully accept your standard gift but ~
Why don’t you try to do something different this time?
Something that she will remember for years, may be forever? Gifts don’t need to be expensive. Women give really high marks for the actual thought and effort a man put into the V-day (or any day) present.
Do your homework first
Snoop around and notice her tastes. Make mental notes of her priorities. What color does she favour? Does she enjoy a lot of photographs around her home, on her desk or wall? Where does she like to shop? What music does she listen to in her car or on her Nano? Does she like teckie gadgets? Are fresh flowers gracing her table? Use what you find to help you choose a romantic gift idea.
1. IF SHE LIKES TO HAVE PHOTOS. If you have a good picture of you both, London Drugs for instance can print photos for you. But you don’t need to print on paper – you can print a calendar, put your pictures on a mug, on a t-shirt, on a mouse pad, make a puzzle or buy her a Jewel Box with your picture on it. You can even order them online and pick it up later. Processing time depends on the product, and in my experience, regular photos take only a couple of hours to complete. They send you e-mail saying that your order is ready to pick up (a great idea if you have the time – not so good for the last minute gift idea)
2. IF SHE LIKES FLOWERS. Maybe she will appreciate artificial silk flowers? They are brighter, bigger and will last forever. Try Michaels craft store, they have huge selection of them. But take note, women who love fresh flowers tend to shy away from the artificial.
3. IF SHE IS INTO MOVIES. I was so happy to get a full set of ‘Friends’ TV series from my friend. He knew I watched it whenever it was on TV. What made it special is that he noticed and took initiative.If you like to plan ahead, get her a pass to Vancouver Film Festival, which takes place in Fall. Or can take her for an outdoor movie.
4. IF SHE LIKES TRYING NEW FOOD. Take her to a restaurant of international cuisine – Afghan, Russian, Balkan, etc. I would suggest a Google research on the menus.
5. IF SHE IS INTO MUSIC. Buy her a gift card for iTunes. Or get her season tickets for Vancouver Symphony Orchestra.
6. IF SHE LIKES HOME MADE GIFTS And you are a handy man, make a cutting board from a piece of wood (they have great selection in Home Depot); if you are an artist – write a poem or a song. You can find a selection online of Valentine day poems as a source for creative you.
7. IF SHE IS INTO SELF-HELP, find her favourite authors or buy tickets to a local event.
8. IF SHE IS INTO BOOKS. Besides Chapters Gift Card, you can take her to Banyen books, let her spend some time looking and buying and then go for coffee across the street.
9. IF YOU RAN OUT OF IDEAS Gift Cards or Gift Certificate are your best bet. My standard cards on my wish list on any Holiday are Winners, Home Sense, and The Bay. These stores have a great selection and wont’ restrict her in her choice. A Gift Certificate for any SPA a nail salon or a hair salon are great ideas too.
10. IF YOU STILL HAVE NO IDEA what she likes, buy anything for her house – a nice candle or coasters, bubble bath or nice soap (Lush has a great selection); anything for her works/studying ; anything for her living room. OF course, it’s a rare woman who will turn down chocolate.
Women like surprises! Let her discover flowers and a present at her bed in the morning, like Santa does on Christmas.
Make this a day you let down your guard and romance her like a princess. Who knows, you may love the feelings you feel and the light in her eyes.